Friday, November 14, 2014

First Time: Oyster Shucking

Tomales Bay Oyster farm is one of the more popular oyster farms in California. They serve fresh farmed oysters, clams, mussels from Tomales Bay.

The morning started out fairly early for me. I thought it would be a good idea to arrive early since this place tends to get packed by early noon. I guess our timing was a bit off. Notice how deserted the place looks upon our arrival, that's how early it was.The benefits of our head-start meant our first pick at the picnic tables.

Our friendly greeter
Looks like I reserved the whole place to myself

Upon arrival, you may park in the free parking lot or outside of the area on the curb. There is also free valet parking for later in the day when it gets more crowded. Greeters will ask you to pay for the entrance fee for $5 per person. Two vehicles allowed per group and usually staffs only permits one table to be used by the group. 

After settling in our nice picnic table, we went off to the counter to purchase our oysters. My group went for the medium-size fresh oysters, a bag of 50 for $60. We decided to also give a try to the 2 pounds of clams and 1 pound of small raw oysters.
Our Menu of the Day
Tomales Bay Oyster Company
More oysters!
Fresh Oysters
Medium-sized oysters
Time to grill the oysters/clams
While our delicious oysters were grilling, I rented a pair of oyster knife for my first oyster shucking experience. If you're like us, we didn't come prepared at all but everything can be bought at the oyster farm from lime to shucking gloves to Tabasco. The only missing ingredient they were missing is the Siracha sauce which I love with my oysters.  
My first time oyster shucking
My lovely oyster
Juicy!
Some hot dogs and clams
Throw your shells in the black bin for recycle
After eating all the oysters that I can fit in my stomach, I went by the shorelines for a stroll. I highly recommend coming by once to try out their delicious oysters and clams.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...